Bouncing Around

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Me echas suyo razon

Buenas chicos - I'm slowly getting a hang of this internet 2.0 atmosphere that now exists. For all you technological dinosaurs (or anyone who spends less than 2.5 hours on the internet a day) web 2.0 is basically the onset, use, and intermixing of all these new online applications. Obviously facebook, myspace, flickr, digg, twitter, newsvine, delicious, etc... Most of my days are spent scrounging the internet for new capabilities in various web programing languages and through this I have discovered the crazy world that is web 2.0 Anyway if anyone is interested by any of this digg is a pretty awesome website along with newsvine.

Segundo, I don't know if any of you guys know Mano Chau, the band but they are pretty sweet and darn catchy. Here's one song I'm particularly fond of



Tercera - The verb echar specifically means "to toss" but is used in a lot of colloquial phrases. For example, no me echas la culpa, " don't toss me the blame" , I like it cause it is a cool way to say a lot of things. The title of this post is asking you, if it is that anyone is reading this, in which case I would really only be asking myself, but anyway im blowing my mind too much right now...The title of this post is asking that you toss me your idea about a certain predicament I have found myself in. I have a job opportunity basically brokering auto transport for people in the US, this job would pay well (for expat Argentine standards) but I would be working 40hrs a week talking to Americans all day, not really what I left America for you know? But this is salary and commission based so if I'm good I would move from being paid well to ballin' real nasty potentially, saving money for that sunny day in the future when I can make a motorcycle trip back up to the states.

On the other hand I now have enough contacts where I could teach english full time and make enough money to survive, but it would involve a lot of jumping around the city everyday as well as paying me a fair amount less...hum?? The benefit of teaching is the human interaction, face to face, with argentines of all different walks of life I would be teaching them for at least 8 months and really get to know some people. Or I could also get to know some people but on the phone, and they would likely be living in Vermont. Either way I know that I will have a job paying me enough to survive and discover more about this city. Plus there's always that chance a producer will see me tearing up the dance floor on a friday night at Kika (local club) and immediately invite me to join his traveling urban/interpretive dance troop, who knows? If anyone has any insight please share it, or, if anyone has about 15,000 $ they would want to send me, that too would help, then I could just do a little bit of both these jobs.

My sister and Megan Rumpza arrive tomorrow around one, I think they are both stopping in Sao Paulo before the come to BA, which means that they will have been traveling for something 18-20 hours I think. So that means straight walk to the ecological park for a few hours strolling the jungle right?


As for right now, I am still working at DDB, getting to know the people I work with pretty well which is really awesome and still everyday trying to learn more spanish. It's weird though, since I'm so immersed in it some days I feel like I am completely absorbing everything, words, phrases, tones, all of it. Then the next day, or maybe even a few hours later, it will feel like I put on a helmet and regressed back a month in my understanding of what people say. I think learning a language is similar to feeding yourself. When your hungry, you eat every little thing you come across and it still tastes good and makes you want more. But then you reach a certain point and any piece of food, even the most delicious looking Chipotle burrito with chicken and steak and corn and green tabasco and extra guac and sour creme (there's nothing like that here) wouldn't be appealing to you. But then two hours later, your hungry again and start eating everything in sight. I think that works, right? But, did someone say something about a Chipotle nearby??


Chau Chau.

1 comment:

  1. Okay. 1. You made me very hungry for Chipotle, and I think I'm going to have it for dinner (don't be jealous). That was obviously the most important thing to come from this. And 2. From what I gathered from you, you went to Argentina for the experience. So go for the job that would help you fulfill that aspect of your journey. I think you would feel more successful coming back or going where ever you go with a mind full of experience rather than a pocket full of money. Though, maybe that's just me :)
    No matter what you choose, you seem to always find other options, so don't stress over it too much. In fact, I'm sure that producer is just waiting to make his move!
    Tell your wonderful sister I say hello :)

    Miss you,
    Mary

    P.S. Cable?

    ReplyDelete