Bouncing Around

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hablabamos...Go ahead say it....Hablabamos

Rolls off the lengua pretty smooth right? Hola gente - como esta? Yo estoy bien, mis padres estan aca y cada noche he cenado en un resturante buenisimo. As of this past monday morning the entire Minnesota raised Cloyd clan has been rocking the city of Good Winds with a style both considerate and riveting. My mom and dad are staying in the historic (tourist filled) district around plaza de mayo about 25 minutes from my apartment. All I can say about that is the taxi economy has gotten a steady boost from our families frequent shifting of place to place.....Oh and did someone say TAXI!!!

Scream it, paint a sign in neon pink on a black poster with a batman spotlight shining on it, lay in the middle of the road with the words "I need a taxi" written around you in blood, no matter what clever attempt you come up with I can guarantee you one thing - that taxi you see, and need, will not stop for you. Let me quickly explain my slightly negative feelings towards the yellow fever (I may have to start calling taxi service here that). Last night my acclaimed sister selected a fine restaurant for us to celebrate that o so special dia de San Patricio (and the answer to your question is yes, argentines do celebrate St. Patty's and yes the do celebrate it in the same fashion American's do; having a few quiet beers with friends without getting to crazy or over the top.....) Anywho, we were in the Micro-center, restaurant was in Palermo viejo, 25 minutes separated us, the time was 8:10 reservation at 9, sin problemas verdad? Not to mention we had adapted the not so often used American gastronomic schedule, so we were eating about 1 - 2 hours before the average Argentine would be - therefore no one hogging all those 40,000, thats right 40,000, cabs in the city. But alas as the circulating door swept away and the fresh night air passed through our senses we realized one small change from when we entered the hotel not but 40 minutes before. I don't know if any of you have seen what a 50 caliber bullet looks like but it's about 3 1/2 inches long and the width of a whiteboard marker, intimidating when fired from the fixed roof of a hummer, but truly terrifying when hurtling from the heavens in the form of angeles' tears. The monsoon we entered was powerful and relentless, which I assume most of the other residents of the Micro-center gathered after nearly drowning after 4 minutes outside, because every single cab, and this is a hotel district so there should be many, the hive if you will of cabs in the city, but every single cab was either full, or for some very interesting reason didn't want our money and continued to drive past the saddening look of Therese Bowman Cloyd getting soaked to her bones. Long story short we couldn't get a cab, none would stop or all were full, we ran through the rain to the Subte, then had another 12 blocks to run through a schmorgesborg of plummeting rain because the cab we picked up after riding the Subte didn't know the address we gave him. But once we got to the restaurant, and they air dried us until they considered us presentable to enter, the food was good, the pours deep and the conversation, well, the conversation was much brighter then the atmosphere we watched through the window.

I'm not a negative person, and actually I respect a cabbie more than others I think, but I just don't understand why they would straight up not stop for people when it's raining. Thats the most important time for a cab to be used, they could charge an extra 5 pesos I wouldn't be angry, but come on, it's raning.

Didn't mean to sound so stormy, I'm glad I could get that rain cloud to move from over my head, I know it sounds like I was a wet blanket but at least I'm not flooding you with other less passionate information.

Oh and hablabamos means "we spoke' in the unspecific past tense.

Thats all for now cause no one likes reading really long pieces of text with out pictures so I'm gonna end it now, with a picture.



Chau Chau
Hasta

No comments:

Post a Comment