Bouncing Around

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Gustaria decir....algo...

Como se van? Hola - Everybody a searchin' these interwebs having a pleasant day? Are we online reading something provided by blogspot at the office?(michael) at home (mom) or possibly via the latest in advanced wireless technology, the new Anroid phone (Uncle John perhaps). Most likely you reading this because the crime drama you watch religiously every wednesday is at commercial, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Updates,,updates,,updates. Well my sister made it here safely, 12 hour night flight and I've never seen her better. Rumpza, our friend from back home in Minnesnowda, was supposed to arrive at Ezeiza airport around the same time, but in the obviously ironic fulfillment of their company name Cheapo airlines overbooked and alas or little Rumpza friend had to spend the night in the classiest digs the ugly red-headed child of the airline industry could afford, I don't exactly remember the name but it had best, inn, savers and suites in some order. Anywho, she made it the next day, we picked her up and voom... yet another force of nature struck Sa, the Cloyd/Rumpza tornado of fun that is.

We did many things, one of them being me actually understanding what can and can't be done, what is actually interesting for visitors to see, and most importantly where not to eat. Especially when you sister is what we call a Captain in the Gourmet food Gestapo. (The mediocre ravioli I ordered in San Telmo almost made me lose a pinky finger I think) To make it quick, the touristy things are touristy for a reason, they are pretty awesome, and informative. So sometimes it's best to suck it up, throw on your fannie pack, squirt on the sun block and jump on that bright yellow open roofed double decker tour bus for all the Portenos to see. We did so and I learned more about this city (historically and culturally) in 2 hours then I did in the first month, really good stuff.

Aside form touring we also had a little welcoming party, where our eclectic group of friends could meet the famed E-Bone on Rumpztronic. I think that the recent arrivers were a little shocked to see the high population of central and Northern European influence in our group of friends. Ze dutch, ze Germans, y some swizas were running about, and fortunately they all speak wonderfully accented english that really only sounds better and more fun after a few games of beer pong. I'll leave it at this; the question "Do you want to go make party?" Can never not be both funny/and exciting. My usual response was "yes, I like to make party very much ", while filling another triangle of cups on our psuedo-beer pong table. A good time was had by all and the mess in the morning was actually cleaned quickly, which I am always surprised about (I'm usually still half asleep when I'm picking up the bottles and glasses)

Mis padres are coming sunday, Elizabeth and I have quite a potent line up of fine food establishments we will be hitting up as well as a day vacation to Uruguay I'm hoping can happen. (I've been in South America more than two months and have yet to see a beach. Technically that's not really too weird because there's plenty going on inland, but we all think of the sunny coast when we imagine South America, don't we)

Other than those occurances I'm still cruising along at my internship, I just recently joined Conversation Exchange which is an amazing site the brings two people together who want to speak/learn the native language of the other. I have two people already written to me and I just posted my profile a few hours ago, it's all free, and the people all live close, the internet is amazing and I hope that I can really meet some more local peeps through this. I will be stopping work here at DDB at the end of the month and starting a career as a salesman, and also teaching two students in the morning. Pair that up with the tennis partner I think I just found on craig's list and Tommy boy is going to be packing a full schedule, but as they say those who do, do stuff well, those who don't, aren't really doing stuff so there's nothing even to be done well. You know what I mean, so I'm trying to do stuff, therefore have an opportunity to do said stuff well - I think you guys are catching my drift right? Good.

Gustaria decir means "I would like to say" - gustaria is conditional for gustar which comes in handy when ordering an apple at the market - "Gustaria la manzana alla"

Chau Chau
Bien viaje

Oh and PS - I don't know if you guys watched the Oscar's but the Documentary film I worked on in College, The Cove, won best documentary, pretty sweet. Louis Psihoyos the director, writer, and star of the movie and who accepted the award, is one of the main people I met and actually spoke normally with. And he was every bit as sincere when I spoke with him as he was accepting the award, which I find pretty awesome. Anyway I think everyone should see it, it's a good movie, it's moving, and it really is talking about something very important. Go here to learn more about it and see where it's playing. Oh and look for the name Cokely Coyd at the end of the credits - that my "advertising name"




1 comment:

  1. Thomas - Love seeing you and Elizabeth in Argentina - unbelievable! Please tell her and your folks I said "Hi" when they get there Sunday.

    Sue and I did watch the "Cove" and it was awesome. When I saw it was nominated for an Oscar it took a while to remember you worked on the advertising (I saw your credit!) but I was excited when I realized what it was.

    Weather heer is no where near as nice as Buenos Aries but the snow is now gone and forecasters predict we will hit 50.

    I saw the first sign of spring yesterday - Lakewoods sent a bill for a deposit. Summer is coming!

    I always saw you as a used car salesman so your new job may be a first step on your career - Good Luck.

    Bye for Now - Love - Uncle John

    Sent via some cool new technology.

    ReplyDelete