Bouncing Around

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

La Clave es...

Hola amigos, como andan hoy? - Today marks my second week working at DDB Digital - Argentina. DDB just moved into a pretty awesome new building a week before I started and it has a few key aspects that make it a good place to come to. 1. My specific room where my department works has a whopper of an AC unit, could be responsible for some of the upper trophosphere freezing thats creating all that snow in Georgia, 2. Spanish is spoken everywhere here, be it when I'm talking to some peeps, some peeps are talking to me, or I'm sitting in the office writing this post and I overhear and try to understand the conversations that are going on around me between them peeps--this is a great way to learn a language people--. And 3. I take the bus into Recoleta, which is basically a little bit outside the "down town" but still has the hustle and bustle of the 10th largest city in the world, so I actually feel like I'm participating in society, it's a good feeling, for now. Except yesterday on the bus I couldn't tell if the older Portena (woman who was born and raised in Buenos Aires, it's a port - portena) had poor balance or wanted to take me out to a stake dinner by the way she was falling into me on the ridiculously overpacked collectivo (the local buses here). All good things though.

My esteemed roommate Mike went to Montevideo this past weekend and said it is a dream capital, still manages to be a business hub while maintaining that ever so necessary beach town feel. Though, like I've been saying, all the city dwellers pretty much vacate the city on the first hint of summer humidity and sun so any judgment on population density or overall city feel is slightly skewed durante el verano. But if your looking for a nice place to live and can manage to find a job in Uruguay, head towards Montevideo, buen ondas alla. (Buen onda literally means good waves; they use that term here to either describe the atmosphere of a situation (good/bad bar scene) or if a person shoots out good or bad vibes, it works i recommend it.

Lastly if anyone knows how to operate a Samsung washer/dryer that looks to be made in Soviet Era Turkmenistan please send me a detailed tutorial, preferably in a video format so I can stop all my clothes from coming out 40% dirtier than when I put them in.

Oh and La Clave is a great phrase meaning "the key." As in el clave to a good time in Buenos Aires is having US$ in your bank account instead of pesos.

Buen Dia

No comments:

Post a Comment