Bouncing Around

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Futbol I hardly knew ye

Hello everyone - I am able to write this entry at 11 am on a workday because I have one week free from work before I dive headfirst into the exciting world of Latin American advertising next monday, I fret only because none of the creative team I will be working with speaks english, and I am but a gringo who lived in Spain a few years ago, and then directly forgot most of my spanish. But all is not lost, because not only is this an amazing opportunity to increase my spanish fluency (baptism de fuego) but also I can hopefully have a shot at teaching my coworkers english after work. This nicely colored and embossed certificate I recently received will hopefully carry it's weight in helping my bosses determine if an afterwork class would be beneficial.

But yes, the title of this post. So I found out on sunday that even if you can contend in futbol with 12 or 14 year old argentines, as I have been attempting to do these past few weeks, you can most certainly not contended when it comes to playing argentines, brits and some fins on real grass and real goals. On sunday the first kick it for haiti event was held at a park north of the city. 32 teams of five players each, with every team donating 200 pesos- about 62 bucks, and each game lasting 10 minutes. Our team llamame (call me) consisted of all americans except for our peruvian ringer Andre. To bear your from the gruesome details I will be quick. First game I was almost decapitated in the first kick by a 1,000,000 mile an hour strike from mid field. Then that same team continued to score 8 unanswered points for an embarrassing llamame loss. Next game against a group of old timely brits, though kind in speech the acceleration of their shots spoke of a different feeling to us yanks. But again we lost quite beautifully 7-o. After those two games and the use of points scored vs. points scored on to determine which teams continue, we quickly realized that we were the worst team out of all 32 to play. But they were selling beer for cheap and some pretty tasty chorizo so all was not lost, except of course for our pride and the no longer existing pride of the american soccer movement.

It was fun stuff and I'm sure you all would have enjoyed the comradery and day drinking, but most important of all is that 85 percent of the donated money went to LIFE Argentina who directly is funding food supply to Haiti still. From what I've seen and heard, which I'm sure you all have well, Haiti is basically taken back to the stoneage with families torn apart, and so much loss of life and living. I don't know how but I hope they can rebuild a better place.

Hasta las proximas palabras
I'll have some pics to follow


5 comments:

  1. I'm picturing you getting decapitated right now.

    Got the new computer. Skype/G chat ASAP cuz. I wanna start planning my next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want in on the adventure. On the real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you learning to trash talk in Spanish on the futbol field?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having fun down there! Glad you hooked up with an Ad agency. Ought to be interesting.
    Congrats on the Oscar nomination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cokely,

    Lovin the fresh updates my sahns. Glad to hear you've begun to live the dream down in the Bueno. I particularly enjoyed the pictures of your improvised snappa in the studio. As a great man once said, "true advances are often made in the most difficult of situations." Alright, nobody said that, I just made it up, but I think it's true.

    Also, I don't know if you kept in touch with Brother (Jeff) Hudson, but he's cold hard kackin in Lima, Peru and working for a financial firm. He's been living there for almost a year now and should be there until at least December. You should definitely hit him up if you're ever thinking about heading over.

    Anyway, keep soaking it up sancho. Send my love and warmest regards to Hromadka!

    -Papa Frumps

    ReplyDelete