Bouncing Around

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Doscientos Anos

Hola chicos - Hace mucho tiempo, sorry I've been slacking on my updates, been trying to find a place to live for a while, but excuses excuses.

First off, doesn't it seem that Argentina would be older than the U.S., I don't say this based on any historical facts or genuine logic, I think it's cause of all of the old time European architecture and cultural aspects we think about which makes it seem a part of Europe, instead of the last European outpost on the South American continent. Anyway I say that because this weekend, specifically May 25th is the 200th anniversary of Argentine Independence from Espana. It's sweet, they have closed off the entire main avenue in the downtown area, 9 de Julio, as well as the main avenue connecting the presidential palace, Casa Rosada, to the congressional building. All for massive parades for Argentine Military and social groups. There are also 6 stages throughout the city that have different delegations from all the extremely differing areas of the country. Last night the kicked everything off with a free concert right in downtown, beginning at the typical Argentine 11 pm.

I am quite ashamed to say that I caught this wonderful, once in 200 year event while flipping between channels during a commercial of the Magic - Celtics blowout. I knew this weekend had a lot of events happening, but I didn't realize the scale, Avenida 9 de Julio supposedly had half a million people in it. In which case I am leaving my apartment right after this with my trusty nikon in hand, to search out the craziest of these celebrations throughout the day and night today, monday and tuesday. Unfortunately the company I work for supports Americans so monday and tuesday daytime I will have to work. (It would be strange to tell leave a voicemail telling my customers I can't track their vehicle because I'm a few blocks away cheering on the image of Juan Peron draped in an Argentine flag sipping mate with a spalsh of fernet, at least I don't think that would work) Anyway I'm going to join the masses with my camera and snap some phots of these events, cause honestly who doesn't love spectacles, and large crowds, with lost of drunk people, and few bathrooms, in a society where the concept of personal space is equal to my understanding of those belts woman where that do nothing to hold up any form of pant, and the belts aren't even going around the waist, what is the point?

I'll be back in a few days with some pics and highlights. Word up.

Doscientos Anos = 200 years.

Hasta Pronto

2 comments:

  1. I love your writing T-steak. You know you and Robbie have murmured hints of foreign spirit distribution. Keep up the documenting.

    darwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday. Card is on the way. I do enjoy your blog. Hope you got some good pics of the celebration.

    ReplyDelete